Vegan Shepherds Pie
Hearty and satisfying Vegan shepherds pie that screams comfort food. Although this is not a stable dish in our house, it has definitely won over the hearts of everyone who tried it. Here’s a thing I’m one of those people who truly believe in not changing a good thing, but I also believe that improvement is always possible. Case and point this traditionally beef centered dish and in honor of the plantbased challenge I took it upon myself to veganize this dish while still maintaining its deliciousness and integrity. .Lentils are an incredible substitute for ground beef. Even if you eat red meat, knowing how to use lentils in its place opens up a world of possibilities in your kitchen.
- 4-5 large potatoes -almond milk
- 1 cup green lentils soaked over night
- 2 large red onions finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Indian green chili finely minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Preheat oven to 425
- In a deep pot heat oil add onion stir till translucent. Stir in garlic, next add carrots and celery stir for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender
- Add in lentils and chili ( optional) stir for a few minutes next add in all the dry seasoning making sure the lentils and veggies are well coated. – After a few minutes add in the tomatoes and thyme stir, next add the tomato paste stir and blend well.
- Add 2 cups of water more if too thick. – Set aside.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes in a pot of water – When tender remove from water. Let it cool, remove skin transfer to a bowl add almond milk, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher mash potatoes but don’t over mash it.
- remove thyme strigs and transfer lentil mixture into baking pan press down to make sure the mixture doesn’t fall apart later. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over top. – Bake for 15 minutes switch oven to broil and cook for 5 more minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
- What’s you’re favorite go to comfort food?